2.12.2005

It's Saturday, the day after Scott's surgery. You've already received Dave's
email (thank you very much Dave!) so now I'll fill in the details.

Yesterday, it took about 6 hours from the time they wheeled him away from me
until the time his surgeon came out to give us a report. Unlike the past, this
time Dr. Chandler took us into a private room to give us his end of surgery
report. That was nerve racking but I was very hopeful. The first thing he said
was that the morning MRI showed more strong growth in the tumors since his MRI
two weeks ago. Booooo! Then he said they worked very hard to get as much of it
out as possible and that Scott has a very large hole in his brain now. They
stopped cutting when they could see healthy brain fibers mixed with tumor. He
hopes the remaining tumor area is small but we won't know for sure until Sunday
or Monday, following his MRI today. Then he shared the best news. He said he
expected Scott to come out of the surgery mute, but coming out of his anesthesia
he was thanking the doctors and nurses and asking about the time. Hallelujah!
That was a very good sign.

Talking with him later and today, it's clear that he's been saved from the very
high risk of severe brain damage. One more hallelujah! I don't know anything
about his reading or writing but at this point I can say his comprehention seems
to be only a little worse than it was going in. His speaking ability is worse
but that's the area where I know we can get improvements through therapy.
Yesterday, he was trying to talk a lot while he was in recovery, I finally had
to leave so he would rest. Before I left, he was telling me that he loves the
Lord, he loves me, and Josephine and . . . oh, did I forget to tell you? He
was also talking about his SON, who is due in July. We found out last week that
we're having a little boy! He asked about his family and friends and wanted me
to read to him from the bible but he was falling asleep and needed to rest.
Today, he's sleeping a lot and is very groggy while he's awake but he keeps
asking me if he's ok. I'm assuring him that he's much better than OK!

We've just made it through one leg of our most recent race and it could have
turned out very bad. But we have the God of the Universe on our side and the
prayers and love of so many people from here and around the world. It's true.
We love you all so much.

I'll keep you posted. At this point please don't try to call him or visit at
the hospital because he need his rest to recover. Thanks.

Love,
Michele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home