12.05.2004

Last week Scott was having some difficulties with speaking and understanding. On Thursday he had a sharp decline in his ability to speak and came to me in a panic. I immediately took him to doctors at Northwestern and he had an MRI. To everyone's shock, even his doctors, they discovered a brand new very large tumor in the middle of his language center. The tumor was surrounding by swelling, which is typical. As the hours past he regained a great deal of his ability to speak and understand so we went home with a prescription for steroids to help with the swelling.

Not long after we got home, Scott had a grand mal seizure on our kitchen floor. Luckily he wasn't injured from the seizure because it came on while we were embraced, slow dancing. My arms were perfectly placed to get him to the floor with the some help from his mother. The paramedics took him to a local ER and there he had another grand mal. That night he couldn't speak at all.

The next day he was transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he is now under the care of his regular oncologist and neuro-surgeon. They have him on heavy anti-seizure medication, which makes him very tired, and steroids to reduce the swelling. His ability to understand and speak is improving but it's not good. He is very tired but we hope to go home tomorrow or the next day.

This new tumor cannot be removed without permanent brain damage, so our next step is another chemo. They don't expect him to fully recover his language abilities but things could improve for a while.

At this point it's not a good idea to call and speak with him and I wouldn't suggest coming to see him unless you speak with me first. After we get home, call if you want to come and see him and I'll let you know if it will work out.

Sorry my note is so dry. I'm a bit exhausted. As Dave said in his previous letter, we are looking for help with Josephine so I can be a constant help to Scott. Here are some ways to reach me.

Home: 773-227-3048 (best)
Mobile: 773-415-2870

Thanks so much for all your love, prayers, and concern. I'll try and update again soon.

Michele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home