6.29.2005

This is a copy of the tribute I wrote for Scott that was read at his memorial service. Some of you have asked for a copy and others of you who couldn’t be there might enjoy reading it.

Michele


Today I have the privilege to honor Scott, my husband and our children’s father. I couldn’t be a prouder wife. I want people to know that Scott’s greatest achievements in life had nothing to do with the things he did but it was the virtue and character he possessed that made him so amazing and special. I’ll share a story that might explain that better. A few months ago when Scott’s muscles were getting weaker and his language was an everyday struggle, my sister and I were able to get him out of the house one day for a walk. Two young girls passed by us on the sidewalk. They were probably 12 or 13 years old and as they passed by one of the girls shot us a look that said, “who do you think you are walking on my piece of pavement.” I immediately thought to myself, “what bad attitudes”. Then Scott spoke and said, “she has so much pain.” His heart was broken for her as he continued. Struggling to get the right words he said, “she probably hates me but she doesn’t know that I have nothing”. Meaning that he was so sick. And then he said, “but I have everything, and I want her to know that I love her.” Scott saw right past her attitude and into her heart and he loved her. He even wanted to go back and tell her but decided not to because he knew how hard it would be to communicate. This is the Scott that I want you to remember. This is the Scott that I had the privilege of telling so often, “I want to be more like you.” He made me a better person and a better wife.

Scott was transformed by the things he learned throughout his life. He worked hard and even studied to learn about God and understand people and relationships. Anyone who’s ever been into our house would know this from Scott’s extensive book collection. I’m so proud of him for this but Scott would give all the credit to the God who transformed him, our Lord Jesus Christ.

He never lost his faith and trust in the Lord. As his body broke down, Scott’s spirit only shown brighter for all of us to see. It was so beautiful and inspirational to watch Scott and hear him and learn from him. Even on the hardest days his heart was filled with love and hope in Jesus. Jesus never failed him or us.

Scott and I talked about what he wanted me to tell you today. What he would want people to know at his funeral.

He said this,
“What I really want is to shine about everything I’ve been called to.
To remind people to walk with the Lord and enjoy him.
Remember to worship.
Remember Christ.
I want so many people to be touched by the Lord and not to be discouraged. I want them to be encouraged.
We don’t know what it’s going to be like in our futures but we can know that we are all going to be together. I’m praying that everyone would know Jesus Christ.”

That is what Scott said he wanted for today.

On behalf of Scott and myself I want to thank you for the incredible outpouring of love and support and prayers. You have profoundly blessed us. Throughout this battle, you often heard Scott say he felt he would beat this brain cancer because “God had more for him to do.” At times, as things got worse, even I wondered if this could be true. But then, over the past months he started to say this instead. He said, “I don’t want people to be discouraged because I know that God has so much more for them to do.” Remember this.

My comfort comes from knowing that God has done as he promised and he has restored my husband. Scott has eternal life in heaven with our great and mighty God! He is strong again, he is whole again, he can speak again and sing and worship the Lord once again. And I know that God still has much more for us and him to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home